Teach English in US Public Schools

The SIT MA in Teaching with a concentration in English as a Second Language is designed for those who would like to teach in US public schools. Besides the master’s degree, it includes a Vermont teacher’s license valid for K-12 ESL teaching and is transferable to other states.

This degree is used by alumni to teach and support language learning in a variety of settings. Besides schools in the United States, the network of US-accredited international schools around the world recognizes this degree and teaching certification.

Depending on your learning goals, a critical one is this: that you are compelled to serve in the public school sector. It is a more involved commitment to obtain this degree — it takes longer to complete and costs more than other degree options — just as teaching in US public schools and their attendant cultures can also require exceptional commitment. Is this what you want to do?

Coursework begins in September each year and continues through May of the following year. For two months, January and February, you’ll shadow a public school teacher, interacting with students, other teachers, participating in lesson design, special meetings, and whatever else the teacher does. Also during this period you take a few classes at SIT. The following fall semester, you have your own classroom and are the primary teacher. In all, coursework and practice teaching take about 15 months and are followed by the completion of the portfolio.

Internships take place in K-12 schools throughout New England and New York City. The degree awards a minimum of 42 credits. Total tuition paid for the degree is $32,120 (2007-08.

If you are compelled to teach in US public schools, this is one option at SIT. Another option is to complete the MA in Teaching and concentrate study in ESOL. Then, take the degree to a state department of education and follow their instructions to obtain a teacher’s license. This usually means taking a standarized test, a course or two at the local university or community college (Literacy, perhaps, Human Development, etc.), the inevitable fee and attendant forms

To talk with alumni who have taken either of these routes to their current positions, please let me know.


Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: